Re: natural theology/theistic naturalism and Romans 1:20

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:19:47 -0400

Gladwin Joseph wrote:

> Rom 1:20 (NKJV) says
>
> "For since the creation of the world HIs invisible
> attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things
> that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that
> they are without excuse"
>
> From the perspective of Paleyian natural theology it would
> seem easy to reconcile the apparent meaning of this verse,
> but from the perspective of "theistic naturalism" it would
> apear to be more difficult. Unless of course i am missing
> something entirely in the current discussion on the theology
> behind Intelligent design and Theistic evolutionary
> perspectives.
>
> Rom 1:20 also cause me to intellectually struggle over the
> issue of what happens to those who haven't heard the Gospel?
>
> I am particularly interested in how one reconciles this
> verse epistemologically if one holds to a Theistic
> evolutionary view and also missiologically as mentioned.

Paul's emphasis is not on a possibility for unfullen human
beings to learn about God from nature, but on the reality that sinful
human beings worship the creature rather than the creator. We invent
the kind of God that makes sense to us. The Intelligent Designer
may be one example. (NOTE: Paul does not say that sin causes people to
deny the existence of any deity, but that it causes idolatry -
worshipping the wrong thing.)
A major error has been understanding Rom.1:20 ff as authorizing
some type of independent natural theology. In reality, it condemns such
attempts. A natural theology which starts from God's revelation to
Israel which culminates in Christ is another matter, because there one
seeks better understanding of the work of the God who has revealed
himself.
George Murphy