Re: ID and Scientific Utility

Eyon Karnoff (ekarnoff@reasons.org)
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 12:12:38 -0700

Hello gentlemen,

I have been following this threaded email discourse for some time. Allow
me to offer our public forum for your discourse:
http://www.paradoxes.org/~forums/paradoxes/wwwboard.html. Open forums in
the form of threaded discussion groups are superior in that it prevents
snipping, lost places, increased download times, reply to all brackets,
accidental deletes, etc. etc. But perhaps the single greatest benefit is
that your argumentation, logic, reasoning, and evidence is displayed for
the entire world to see. Consider these factors in evaluating your
decision.

Sincerely,

Eyon Karnoff
Director of Technology
Reasons To Believe
ekarnoff@reasons.org
http://www.reasons.org

----------
richard.swinburne@theology.ox.ac.uk; Alvin.Plantinga.1@nd.edu; Henry F.
Schaefer III <HFSIII@uga.cc.uga.edu>; Denis Lamoureux
<dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>; feedback@reasons.org;
koons@jeeves.la.utexas.edu
> [...]
> Date: Thursday, September 25, 1997 10:03 AM
>
> George L. Murphy wrote:
>
> (Craig Rusbult) wrote:
>

> > Should Intelligent Design be considered a legitimate type of
scientific
> > theory? If so, then according to commonly accepted criteria, ID (if it
is
> > to be scientifically useful) should be able to serve as a basis for
making
> > predictions (or retrodictions that aren't ad hoc) about observable
> > phenomena; these predictions make an ID-theory empirically testable.
>

> <huge snip>
>
> "Intelligent design" is a part of science in a limited sense:
>
> If a paleontologist finds a piece of bone abraded in a certain way,
>
> he/she may hypothesize that it was a product of such design, & then try
>
> to predict things about the designer & test those predictions.
> BUT - ID in the sense in which it is now being used, _theistic_
>
> ID (whether the theistic element is explicitly admitted or not) is not
>
> "scientific" in that sense, for a simple reason. God "can do anything".
>
> Thus if unrestrained divine action is allowed as an explanatory
>
> element, literally "anything goes". The theory can thus explain
>
> anything. You found something your naturalistic theory can't explain?
>
> Mine can - God (or The Intelligent Designer) did it.
> This does not imply any incoherence between scientific
>
> explanation & belief in divine action - IF God voluntarily limits his
>
> action to that describable in terms of natural processes obeying
>
> rational laws. But ID proponents will not allow God this type of
>
> self-limitation.
>
> Qualifications: The idea that "God can do anything" is not
>
> identical with the classical doctrine of omnipotence, which is that God
>
> _does_ do everything. & divine omnipotence does not extend to
>
> self-contradiction. I don't think these points affect the above
>
> argument in any significant way.
>
> George L. Murphy
> gmurphy@imperium.net
> http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy
>
> I think I agree with most of what both Craig Rusbult and George Murphy
> have said. I agree with the point of Craig Rusbult that (as I interpret
it)
> Intelligent Design (ID) and Methodological Naturalism (MN) (at least as
both
> are interpreted today) might well lead to different scientific hypotheses
(or
> at least different weightings for the plausibility of different
scientific
> theories) On the other hand, I agree with George Murphy that ID is not
> scientific if it just says "anything goes," since God can do anything not

> logically contradictory.
>
> Presumably both ID and MN should be guided by the principle of
> simplicity, trying to find the simplest hypotheses consistent with their

> presuppositions that also fit the observational and experimental data.
This is
> certainly a very strong (if often merely implicitly recognized) guiding
> principle in science, and I was delighted recently to read the 1997
Aquinas
> Lecture at Marquette University, "Simplicity as Evidence of Truth," by
Richard
> Swinburne (Nolloth Professor of the Christian Religion at Oxford
University)