Tsunmi deposition (fwd)

Allen Roy (allen@InfoMagic.com)
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 21:36:25 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Glenn Morton wrote:
> This is exactly where your view is self-contradictory. If a tsnami sweeps
> across an area, it picks up anything, mixes it and deposits a special type
> of rubble with very mixed up lithology.

The point I was trying to make in my other post is that there is no
consenses on what type of deposits tsunais make, even with known modern
tsunami deposits.

Yet in the fossil record we find
> some beds, with burrows are nearly 99% pure sand (St. Peter fm). To sort
> the sand from all the other lithologies takes time. Other layers are nearly
> pure limestone. The quartz content of the crinoidal limestones which cover
> much of North America (Redwall, Leadvill, Keokuk, Burlington, St. Louis etc)
> have a very low quartz content. Tsunami's deposit much and junk. They
> don't sort things well.

Again, your characterization that tsunais just deposit unsorted junk is
premature. Let me reiterate: After a mega-tsunami picks up a large load
of all sorts of particles it then moves on. As the wave looses energy, it
begins to drop its overload, beginning with the heavist and going on to
the lightest. Thus a layer will be layed down which will grade from the
large and heavy to the small and light. locally, the layer may be pure
gravel. As one follows the horizion over distance it may grade to sand.
Again, locally the sand may be pure sand. As one follows the layer
further it may grade in to silt and such. All this just because the
energy of the wave decreases over distance and thus drops it overload.
And this takes place quite rapidly. It is known that many of the layers
at Grand Canyon grade from course to fine over distance in certain
directions.

> I noticed that you haven't yet tried to present an explanation of the
> Williston Basin geologic column like I suggested.

As I stated earlier, I have the file and have been going though it as I
have time.

I am serious. If you can
> explain in detail how Tsunami's can deposit salt, pure salt, in the middle
> of the geologic column,

I admit that deposition of pure salt is a problem, however I believe that
there is a solution to it. (sorry about the terrible pun, it was
insolvable).

> The math I presented above still holds. At 1.7 feet of deposition per
> hour, how do thousands of lungfish in permian strata have time to dig
> burrows? (reference available upon request.)

The question is, were they digging in or were they digging out? Perhaps,
they were on the bottom and got buried quickly in overload droped from an
wave loosing its energy. They burrowed up through the layer to the
top of the deposition, then they get buried again, and burrow out again,
and again and again.

Allen Roy
Grand Canyon Creationary Geology Tours, see:
http://www.tagnet.org/anotherviewpoint/
Daniel Prophecy Studies:
http://www.tagnet.org/anotherviewpoint/Daniel