FW: Authority Criterion

Jim Taggart (jtaggart@astea.com)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:49:21 -0400

Be careful here. You are discussing several different things here.
Don't mix them up.

1. Almost anyone who has been interviewed and quoted in the press, or
has been present for an event later reported (I have been), has been
surprised at the difference between the event and the reporting. It
makes you realize how careful you must be in believing ANYTHING which is
reported in the press. Reporting, however has nothing to do with the
"scientific method."

2. Science can be divided into two parts, theoretical and experimental.
People either invent theories, and then perform experiments to prove or
disprove the theories, or conversely, they perform experiments, and then
invent theories to explain their observations. The kernel of the
scientific method is experimental. The key to scientific understanding
is that anyone can verify another scientists observations by repeating
the experiment. You do not have to rely on another's description of an
event (unlike reporting).

Scientists are, of course, free to disagree about the interpretation of
results, but it is the experiments that provide a common ground for
discussion. Lacking repeatable experiments, you have only speculation,
not theory.