Re: Natural Theology, Unguided Processes and Apologetics

Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 21:10:37 -0500 (CDT)

Pattle wrote:

>I looked up the word CREATE, "bara" in the concordance and it is used
>interchangeably with MADE, "asah" in many occasions. The latter seem to
>suggest forming something from preexisting matters. The creation work in
>Genesis was Creation ex nihilo, as elegantly pointed out by St. Augustine.
>God has concluded His creative activities of Genesis. (Gen. 2:1). What God
>is creating today is the NEW CREATION in Christ, (I Cor. 5:17). God
>is also upholding the universe with the Word of His power. (Hb. 1:3).
>These passages seem to indicate to me that biological lives we know of
>today are only variations or speciations from the original created types
>by microevolution with no macroevolutionary modications.

The word translated "create" in Psalm 104, Psalm 102 and Psalm 51 _is_
"bara." This is the same word used in Genesis 1:1,21,and 27. In
particular Psalm 104 refers to the ongoing creation of life, it does not
refer to our new creation.

Keith

Keith B. Miller
Department of Geology