Re: ID as idolatry - clarification

Murphy (gmurphy@imperium.net)
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:50:15 -0400

Terry M. Gray wrote:

> The key words here is APART FROM CHRIST. Of course, all that we do is
> idolatry and works righteousness apart from Christ. My point is simply
> that the God that is known via intelligent design reasonings is not the
> living and true God UNLESS that God is known through the Mediator, Jesus
> Christ.
>
> I am in no way calling Phil Johnson or others of the intelligent design
> school idolators nor am I saying that the ID program is necessarily
> idolatrous.
The problem of idolatry is pertinent, but we can also simply
distinguish between good & bad theology. Cf. Luther:
"That person does not deserve to be called a theologian who
looks upon the invisible things of God as though they were
clearly perceptible in the things which have actually happened.
He deserves to be called a theologian, however, who comprehends
the visible and manifest things of God seen through suffering
and the cross."

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@imperium.net
http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy