Re: Natural Theology, Unguided Processes and Apologetics

Eduardo G. Moros (moros@castor.wustl.edu)
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:50:40 -0500

Peter Vibert wrote:

> But I am still trying to find a handle to describe his "unusual"
> activities. I suggested "signs" as a biblical term that gets close to the
> idea, with the advantage that they explicitly call for faith before they
> can be interpreted. George is of course right that some signs are mediated
> through what we can identify as natural phenomena, but I would estimate
> (without doing an exhaustive search) that the general form of a sign is
> that it is _not_ identifiable as a natural phenomenon, but implies a
> "direct" act of God.

See, here is agian the problem, I think. By "direct" I believe you mean
"supernatural". A better word for "supernatural" is "spiritual". Bear in mind
that there is, biblically speaking and as I believe it, a spiritual world that
does not lend itself to scientific probing. This world or universe (many believe
in existance before the "natural creation") also has it sets of rules and laws
instituted by God. So by "direct" action of God you really mean the interaction
of these two universes. It's hard to explain. God was not necessarily acting
"directly" he was just acting through a universe we know little of it (through
Angels for example), All creation, natural and supernatural, is under his
control.............

Salu2