Re: 1000s of events flood

Glenn Morton (grmorton@mail.isource.net)
Sun, 07 Sep 1997 19:30:12 -0500

At 12:56 PM 9/7/97, Allen Roy wrote:

>The Hebrew word that is translated as 'covered' is elsewhere in the
>KJV translated as 'overwhelmed'. This brings up the question of if the
>hills and mountains were continually submerged until God stopped the
>breakup of the fountains of the deep (as implied by 'covered' as with a
>blanket) or if they may have been 'overwhelmed,' or 'overswept' by waves and
>surges from time to time? In either case there was no safe haven to which
>the victims of the flood could flee. The physical evidence of dinosaur
>(and other animal) tracks left in limestone or sandy mud (now rock)
>implies that where those animals happened to be at the moment, the waters
>had retreated and left exposed mud flats which they fled across, trying to
>find some kind of safe retreat. This seems to support the concept of
>overwhelming, over sweeping waves, rather than a thick blanket of water.

here is what I find incompatible with that view. This is the Triassic
section in the Newark Basin in New Jersey. It is from p. 65 of my book.

Top

Boonton Fm (80 m thick) fish,leaves,pollen
clamshrimp
Dinosaur footprints
roots
footprints, roots
plants, pollen
plants, pollen
footprints, roots
Hook Mountain Basalt
Towaco Fm (120 m thick) Dinosaur footprints
fish, plants, pollen
roots
Dinosaur footprints, roots
fish plants pollen
pollen
roots
roots
Dinosaur footprints, plants, pollen
fish, plants, pollen, stromatolites
plants, pollen, roots
roots
Preakness Basalt
Feltville Fm (20 m thick) roots
pollen
plants
pollen
fish,plants
footprints, pollen, roots
Orange Mountain Basalt
Passaic Fm (15 m thick) roots
roots
roots
roots
plants, pollen
footprints, Dinosaur bones
roots
roots
Lockatong Fm (4 m thick) Dinosaur footprints
fish, clamshrimps
fish scales
fish, clamshrimps
reptile bones, articulated reptiles
clam shrimp
fish scales, clamshrimps
fish, clamshrimps
articulated reptiles,plants, clamshrimps
Dinosaur footprints
Stockton Fm insects, arthropod burrows
bottom

The data is taken from Paul E. Olsen, "Triassic and Jurassic Formations of
the Newark Basin," in Warren Manspeizer, editor, NY State Geol. Assoc.
Guidebook, 1980, p. 18.

I count 8 different levels at which footprints occur. Where exactly in the
New Jersey area were the Dinosaurs hiding in between the waves? Why are
there so many layers of roots? (The plants' tops are not found with them and
them and the roots are in vertical position. Most of these roots are small
so they can't be said to float root downward.

>According to Clague and Bobrowski (1994, 'Tsunami deposits beneath tidal
>marshes,' GSAB, v. 106, p. 1293-1303) tsunami deposits are generally
>massive, sharply bounded at the top and bottom and contain detrital wood.
>The contacts commonly are conformable. They state further that it is
>unlikely that a river could deposit the widespread, sharply bounded,
>sheets of moderately well sorted sand layers. This is similar to what is
>found in the geologic record in many place, but on a much larger scale.

Who is your authority that tsunami deposits will explain the geologic
column? Cite a scientific journal please.

I notice that you have yet to explain the details of the geologic column on
my web page. I asked specifically for you to explain how the salt could be
deposited in the middle of the flood in North Dakota. But it is also found
in the middle of the geologic column in Michigan, New York, Kansas Europe
and many other places. Also you haven't explained whether the pollen we
discussed was flattened, what color it was etc. Let's talk about the issues
you raised first before you change the subject rapidly.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood