Re: ASA News Releases

Murphy (gmurphy@imperium.net)
Thu, 04 Sep 1997 20:29:40 -0400

Pattle Pun wrote:

> May I suggest that a survey is made amongst the ASA membership as to their
> support for or opposition to the Intelligent Design Movement before any
> news release on behalf of ASA on this issue. I think there is a
> substantial support around that may not be as outspoken as those that are
> against it.

This isn't the issue. The organization should not take an
official position on this issue, whether > 50% of members are for it or
not. To commit ASA to acceptance of biological evolution would be
theologically and/or scientifically intolerable to some members.
Similarly, endorsement of ID as its partisans understand it would be
theologically and/or intolerable to some.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@imperium.net
http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy