Re: a simple test of Flood geology

Adrian Teo (AdrianTeo@mailhost.net)
Thu, 04 Sep 1997 12:23:01 -0700

Arnold, Mike NC wrote:

> I agree that logic and science should be applied to the Bible. To often
> we evangelicals shy away from applying logic and science to the Bible
> because we are afraid our faith will be damaged (or we are afraid we
> might have to think)!
>
> There are however times in the Bible, and I think they are called out
> rather plainly, when the only thing we can use is faith. These times
> are when God uses miracles to accomplish his "task on hand." I believe
> when God uses miracles he is transcending the laws of physics as we
> understand them today. The parting of the Red Sea is and example and so
> I believe is the Flood.
>
> If we apply logic to the flood, we come (I believe) to the following
> conclusion:
>
> The geological evidence, is something God has given us (and thus must be
> true) to help us understand his wonderful creation, albeit our
> interpretation of what we are seeing may be flawed. Scripture must be
> true -- if it is not true then we can argue there is no omnipotent God.
>
> Geologic evidence does not speak of a cataclysmal flood .
> Scriptural evidence speaks of a cataclysmal flood, there can not be much
> interpretation here -- "(Gen. 6:17 NASB) And behold, I, even I am
> bringing the flood of water upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in
> which is the breath of life, from under heaven; everything that is on
> the earth shall perish."
>
> Our conclusion must be that the flood, and the events before and after
> it, must be filed under the category of miracles.
>
> Since God was erasing the race of man and starting over again with the
> line of Noah, he might not have wanted to leave any evidence of their
> past life for Noah and his family to point to and hold on to.

May I suggest, Mike, that the operative word in the above passage is "earth
(erets)", and can also be taken to mean "land". IOW, is it not possible that
the flood was local rather than global?

--*******************************************************Adrian Teo, Ph.D.Department of PsychologyWhitworth CollegeSpokane, WA 99251-0706Tel: (509)777-4420   //  e-mail: AdrianTeo@mailhost.net*******************************************************