Re: William James

John P. McKiness (jmckines@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu)
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 17:46:00 -0500

At 10:07 PM 9/1/97 -0400, Burgy wrote:
>For some reason, those who are not Christians on this, and other LISTSERVs,
>seem to believe that logical arguments carry the critical weight in
>discussions of God.
>
>They need to heed the words of William James, who once commented that
>encounters with God
>are transcendent, noetic and ineffable.
>
>Thanks to Jack Anderson for pointing this out recently in the letters
>column in the Atlantic Monthly.
>
>One Christian who also seems to believe this MAY BE (I am not sure) Phil
>Johnson. Another group who appear to believe it are my friends at ICR,
>particularly Dr. Gish (who IS my friend).
>
>Burgy

I am puzzled, how can you suggest that Phil Johnson and D. Gish believe that
logical arguments do not carry the critical weight in discussions of God.
Their attempts to reconcile the Bible and Science seem to rely as much on
logic and faith in logical statements as almost everyone else involved in
these discussions (except myself of course ;-) ).

John