RE: Harper Collins Study Bible

Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 23:12:16 -0400

George Murphy comments, in reference to the Bible course Tamera referred
to,

>"Come on! I certainly disagree with the prof - but wasn't this for a "Bible
as Literature" type of course?"

Maybe George knows more about that particular course than I do, but
Tamera stated that she is taking a "course on the Bible" and asked for
advice on how to deal with statements by an authoritative figure that
she apparently disagrees with. Hence my response and, I would guess,
that by Daniel Criswell as well.

Regardless of the aims of the course, stating that the Bible is not the
inspired Word of God and is "full of errors" draws attention away from
the real purpose of the Bible, which certainly was not to be yet another
piece of prose suitable for dissection to the enjoyment of academics.

I have nothing against studying the "Bible as literature" but I would
think that no study of this type would need the disclaimers that this
particular professor feels he needs to make.

Imagine if similar comments were made about the Koran or the Book of
Mormons!

Chuck Vandergraaf,
Pinawa, MB Canada