Re: Counting

Glenn Morton (grmorton@psyberlink.net)
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 22:57:35 -0500

At 09:23 PM 6/27/97 -0400, John W. Burgeson wrote:
>Came on one reference to a unique human attribute -- counting --
>in MATHEMATICAL MYSTERIES by Calvin Clawson (1996).
>
>Says oldest direct evidence is a baboon's thigh bone, 35 ky, and
>a wolf bone, 30 ky. Says no such evidence from Neandertal sites.
>(All thos from pg 11 of the book above).
>
>Just data -- you probably have all this stuff...

Actually, you made me do some more research which is always a pleasure. I,
too, was under the impression that counting didn't start until about 35,000
years ago. But I was wrong.

All of the modern knowledge of ancient counting was developed about 30 years
ago by Alexander Marshack who first began the serious study of notational
markings on bones. He wrote a book entitled, The Roots of Civilization
(1972). I had read about half of it before getting bored and stopping.