Re: Old vs New Testament God

John P. McKiness (jmckines@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 21:02:20 -0500

At 12:35 PM 6/9/97 +0100, Janet wrote:

>This apparent difference between the OT and NT versions of God is something
>that I've struggled with and is the primary reason I reject a literal
>reading of the Bible. My thinking was along the lines of "If by definition
>God doesn't change, then if the way he is portrayed changes, it must be
>because man's view of God changes - and that's what we are seeing in the
>OT/NT differences". However, I realize this can be completely wrong and I
>would be interested in hearing from those on the list who are more
>knowledgeable (and that includes probably almost everyone) how one does
>reconcile what appear to be differences in how God behaves. I realize this
>may be a bit far afield for the listserv which deals with science and
>religion, so I'll ask apologies in advance if this is an inappropriate
>question.

Janet

In my way of thinking (which may no longer be acceptable here after my last
posts) the God of the Old Testament is the same as the God of the New
Testament. The law and covenant He established in the Old Testament is also
still in effect. It is our relationship to Him through Jesus which creates
the difference. He views us differently because of Jesus not because of a
change in Himself.

In Him,

John

John P. McKiness