Re: Competing for the Evangelical Mind

Jan de Koning (dekoning@idirect.com)
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 11:14:42 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

>1. It seems to me that many of the posts on this topic missed the gist of
>what I was addressing. Presently the only voice on the topic of science and
>faith, being heard by the evangelical church, is that of ICR and fellow
>travelers. I think what the church is hearing from ICR and fellow travelers
>is just plain wrong, both theologically and scientifically. For
>documentation I refer you to Perspectives. I think the church needs to hear
>"the rest of the story."

I do not know what you understand by "evangelical church", but the
churches I know a little are all aware of the Creation-Evolution debate.
Even more the churches I belonged to since the thirties have always had a
great interest in the Faith-Science connection. For some particulars see
the report of the Christian Reformed Church in NA in 1991. As I said
yesterday I learned about the faith-science debate in my high school in
1941 or 1942.

>2. I exaggerate a little when I say ICR and fellow travelers are the only
>voice, but not much. ASA, Hugh Ross and Phil Johnson together are hardly
>noticeable compared to the public relations juggernaut they have going.

Is it the task of the ASA to be involved in debates in churches? Or
should the members of these churches be involved locally, and nationally?

>3. The strident tone in your post leads me to conclude that I also have
>touched your tender spot. I am sorry for that. I do not mean to offend. Your
>stridency also tells me you recognize the danger of ASA awakening from its
>sleep and addressing the church instead of merely talking to itself.

It is sometimes difficult to avoid a strident tone when you see dangers.
If people are ICR, they may have had complaints about the tone in my
postings. Forgive me, but it is sometimes difficult to hit the proper
tone, if you have to repeat the same arguments time and again without
getting replies to your objections and/or arguments. Please, keep
listening to each other.

>4. I read your post as not attacking me personally but at what you see me as
>representing - the ASA. I hope you will recognize me as a fellow traveler on
>the "glory" road and that together we may "press on toward the goal to win
>the prize for which God has called us heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Phil 3:14)

I agree.

Jan de Koning
Willowdale, Ont.