wall of separation

Jill & John Wallin (jwallin@proaxis.com)
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 22:27:20 -0800 (PST)

Since this is the first time I have contributed to this group, let me
introduce myself. My name is Jill Wallin and I work as a chemical engineer
for a major high-tech company. I subscribed to this mail list because I had
many scientific questions regarding creation, evolution, scientific
evidence, etc. I am happy to say that the mail list has served me well in
those regards and have given me some much needed tools to understand many of
the different issues in the creation/evolution debate.

Being a chemical engineer, I have read this particular thread with a great
deal of interest. My feeling is that the question is not whether engineers
are scientists. The more fundamental question is "How do we define
science?". Simplistically, I tend to see science divided into 2
areas--applied science and pure science. Pure science is that which is
performed under very controlled conditions in a laboratory. The applied
scientist takes the concepts learned in the laboratory and applies them,
always under very uncontrolled conditions with many of the variables not
easily understood.

Working as an engineer in my day-to-day work, I apply scientific concepts
regularly. Most of the calculations I perform were derived from
thermodynamics and mechanics. I know that everyone agrees that both of
these concepts, at their fundamental levels, were developed by what we would
consider to be scientists.

On the other hand, when I worked on M.S., I worked with several professors
who had Ph.D.s in engineering (mostly chemical) and they were performing
what I would consider to be pure science. My M.S. advisor was studying the
permeability of fluid through porous media, in this case paper. Another
professor was studying the rheology of clay coating mixtures used on paper.
Yet another professor was studying the chemistry of paper pulp bleaching.

I agree with the preceeding comments regarding the conflict between
disciplines, whether it be (pure) scientists, engineers, accountants, etc.
I myself have been guilty of the sin of saying "Don't they know what they
are doing? I could do a better job than that!". Of course this is always
easier when I don't actually know anyone in that particular department. :^)
We all need to remember that we are all given gifts that should be used for
His glory, not ours. We are all part of one body and that body should have
no division in it.

Peace,

Jill