Re: origin of philosophy and science?

Murphy (gmurphy@imperium.net)
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 21:16:19 -0500

Jan de Koning wrote:

> A debate as proposed between Lutherans and Calvinists is necessary,
> because our Lord wants the unity of believers. However, such a debate will
> be fruitless if we do not examine our basis, which indeed means rehashing
> some of the 16th century debates. Include the RC as well. We sshould not
> underestimate such a debate, because many of our ancestors and most of us
> have not even started to examine our presuppositions. A debate will only
> have a good result if we do so.

Yes, we need to be aware of our 16th century (& earlier) roots.
By "rehashing" I mean just repeating old arguments as if 450+ very
eventful years had not passed. Bilateral dialogues between various
pairs of communions have achieved a good deal since ~ 1960 (though I
think the current Lutheran-Reformed proposals paper over important
differences). These dialogues haven't touched much on science-theology
matters, nor would I have expected them too. That's the task of those
concerned with science-theology matters, & that group doesn't overlap
strongly with those focussed on ecumenical affairs.
George Murphy