Re: proposed lecture series

D. Eric Greenhow, M.D.,Ph.D. (egreenho@mail.med.upenn.edu)
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 21:28:19 -0500

At 04:32 PM 3/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
>My name is Rocky Rhodes. I have been a lurker here for the last six
>months or so since I discovered the ASA. I found out about the
>organization in Michael Behe's book and joined shortly thereafter.

Rocky,

I would encourage you and others who may not be aware of him, to read any or
all of Herbert Butterfield's works. He was Professor or Dean or Don or
something like that of History at Cambridge in the period 1930 to 1970 or
thereabouts. He wrote extensively on History, Science, Christianity, While
I don't know if he could be considered an evangelical, he was in the mold of
C.S.Lewis. Some of his writings are "The Origins of Modern Science"
"Christianity and History", "Christianity, Diplomacy and War". He wrote the
history of Christianity for "The Dictionary of the History of Ideas" in 1973.

He ended "Christianity and History" with "Hold to Christ, and for the rest
be totally uncommitted."

You may not agree with all he says, then again you might. But in any case
one will think a lot more deeply about some of the issues on this reflector
after reading Butterfield.