Re: Criticisms requested

Glenn Morton (grmorton@psyberlink.net)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:25:26 -0600

At 11:20 AM 3/10/97 -0600, Charles F. Austerberry wrote:

> 8) I think the Bible also teaches that things aren't totally out of
>control. Events unpredictable by human observers are called random or
>chance events, but don't think they're all unpredictable by God. I don't
>know whether God could enjoy playing games of chance - God might not help
>but know the outcome! On the other hand, it's possible that God doesn't
>care how many fingers and toes we evolved to have even if God does care
>whether human consciousness evolved. Just what random chance means to God
>I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if God makes creative use of what
>we call random chance.

I think that this is an area that modern Christianity has really missed the
boat on. The ancient jews chose the priests by chance by casting lots.

Luke 1:8-9 (NIV) Once when Zechariah's division was on duty and
he was serving as priest before God, he was chosen by lot,
according to the custom of the priesthood, to go into the temple
of the Lord and burn incense.

A replacement for Judas was chosen by random chance:

Acts 1:24-26 (NIV) Then they prayed, "Lord, you know everyone's
heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen to take over
this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he
belongs." Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so
he was added to the eleven apostles.

Some authorities believe that the urim and thummin of the ancient priest was
a chance device which was used to discern God's will

Exodus 28:30 (NIV) Also put the Urim and the Thummim in the
breastpiece, so they may be over Aaron's heart whenever he enters
the presence of the LORD. Thus Aaron will always bear the means
of making decisions for the Israelites over his heart before the
LORD.

If God can use chance to select a priest, make decisions and replace an
apostle, why can God not use chance in evolution? Many christians think
that this would be a horrible thing, yet the Bible clearly indicates that
that is exactly what has been done in the past.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood