Re: Two kinds of theistic science?

Bill Frix (wfrix@engr.jbu.edu)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:52:48 GMT-5

Greetings!

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997 11:11:44, Bill Hamilton wrote:

> I am similarly surprised. It seems to me that as Christians the two most
> important truths we believe in are 1) God's sovereignty and 2) Jesus' death
> and resurrection as the means whereby our sins are atoned for and the claim
> of Christ that He has conquered death is validated. When new claims appear
> to contradict our understanding of Scripture, we ought to be 1) Reminding
> ourselves that God is sovereign and 2) Investigating the new claims to see
> how they might be congruent with God's sovereignty. Instead, some of us
> seem to see threats to God's sovereignty in new knowledge. Or we think we
> understand Scripture so well that new claims that conflict with our
> understanding automatically have to be incorrect. The first reaction seems
> to trust in God too little, while the second seems to trust in man too
> much.

There is a BIG difference between the Christian faith in the death
and resurrection of Jesus and the creation/evolution debate. The
death and resurrection of Jesus is a verifiable, historical fact
while the creation/evolution debate is a debate of the
_interpretation_ of verifiable facts.

If someone could, positively, prove that Jesus did not rise from the
dead, Christianity would be worse than a false religion, it would be
a mockery of truth. Until then, the presence of the empty tomb is
undisputable proof that Christianity is THE only true relationship
with an eternal God.

I await someone to challenge me on this.
William M. Frix
Assistant Professor, Electrical Engineering
Box 3021
John Brown University
Siloam Springs, AR 72761
Phone: (501) 524-7466