Copy of: NTSE #7 (fwd)....corrected quote (or recollection)

Joel Cannon (cannon@alpha.centenary.edu)
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 09:44:18 -0600 (CST)

> From: John W. Burgeson, 73531,1501
> ----------------
> In the quest for credibility, science gives the possibility of truth away.
> In the quest for truth, religion gives up the possibility of ?? (missed
> the last word)

I believe the last word was certainty, although I have not been able
to find it in my notes.

One other quote from the talk which was interesting was a quote from
the Midrash (commentary on the torah) was a quote that said that God
built miracles into the natural law so that he wouldn't violate
natural law.

Because early Christians and Jewish people of the time probably shared
a common view of creation, this would be a piece of evidence lending
weight to Howard Van Till's idea of the functional integrity of
creation, which he argues to be contained in scripture and to be the
way early Christians viewed creation.

I am trying to chase the exact quote down now.

-------
Joel W. Cannon
Dept. of Physics
Centenary College of Louisiana