Re: Living and dying with Inaccurate History

Rodney Dunning (dunnirb4@wfu.edu)
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 21:07:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 1 Mar 1997, Glenn Morton wrote:

> At 02:07 PM 3/1/97, dunnirb4@wfu.edu wrote:

> >Pardon me for butting in on this thread, but doesn't ANY story that
> >involves people, actions, dates, places, and motives answer these
> >questions? I can't think of a single story that doesn't.
> >

> I have collected several books and a CD on creation stories. One of the
> amazing things, to me is that almost none of them give any place names.
> They also do not give a name to the individuals. There is Pea pod man of
> the eskimos, or the people were fleas on the body of a dead god in one
> chinese story. The Gods are given names but not the people. While adam
> means man, Cain, Abel ...Terah Abram are names applied to individuals.

[snip]

Thank you for the examples of creation stories that don't answer the
"journalistic questions." However, I fail to see how this establishes the
material under question (Gn 4-11 or so) as journalistic in nature. Surely
what is missing from one piece of literature does not speak to the
nature of some other piece. And there are still many, many stories that
answer the journalistic questions that are seemingly not history. I'm
still left with my question, which you snipped away: Is answering the
journalistic questions necessary and sufficient, or necessary but not
sufficient for establishing a story as "history"?

Rodney Dunning
e-mail: dunnirb4@wfu.edu
voice: 910.759.4977 or 910.759.4980
fax: 910.759.6142