Re: What identifies a human? (DNA? Artifacts? ....)

Loren Haarsma (lhaarsma@OPAL.TUFTS.EDU)
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:39:06 -0500 (EST)

Bill Hamilton wrote:

> Loren argues that planting an individual's DNA in an ennucleated (does that
> mean the nucleus has been removed?) donated human egg and growing it in
> vitro for a time does not produce a new, separate human, but only some of
> the donor's tissue which can legitimately be used for experimentation aimed
> at curing or understanding some condition.

Nonononononono. I didn't say that!
I proposed a procedure which I think is likely to be carried out within
the next few years, and I asked for opinions. I didn't offer my own
opinion.

I should know better. Every time I've tried that tactic in the past I've
had someone misunderstand me. I guess I don't do it very well.

My own opinion will be in a follow-up post on "Re: Counting sheep."

Loren Haarsma