Re: disadvantages

Wil & Sharon Milan (milan@airdigital.com)
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 07:54:57 -0700

John P. McKiness wrote:

> I not only second the above, but request that as these are confusing terms
> that if we use them, we define them the first time we use them in a message.
> As in standard scientific writing, we should introduce the acronym after the
> term it stands for the first time used, as in Young Earth Creationist (YEC)
> are . . .
>
> By the way what does IMO stand for?

IMO = In My Opinion

A variant of that is IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

Another common online acronym much used in philosophical discussion is
OTOH = On The Other Hand.

I agree with your opinion that the use of acronyms should be minimized.
The requirement for lucid writing are not waived on the Internet, after
all.

Wil Milan