Re: Coment

Glenn Morton (grmorton@psyberlink.net)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 21:04:20 -0600

At 05:39 PM 2/25/97 -0500, John W. Burgeson wrote:

>Joel & I were both there; I heard something quite different, specifically,
>that within a year the debate over whether (or not) theistic
>science/intelligent design was a proper part of science would be settled.
>To suggest that within a year all theistic evolutionists would be
>"converted" seems to be an outrageous and wholly unbelievable claim;had he
>made this claim, I'd think someone might have called him down on it.

Burgy,

I think that Phil really might believe this. Note the hyperbole in the
following:

"The Behe argument is as revolutionary for our time as was
Darwin's argument was for his. If true, it presages not just a
change in a scientific theory, but an overthrow of the worldview
that has dominated intellectual life ever since the triumph of
Darwinism, the metaphysical doctrine of scientific materialism or
naturalism. A lot is at stake, and not just for science."~Phillip
E. Johnson, "The Storyteller and the Scientist", First Things, Oct.
1996, p.47.

I do not think that Phil's sense of scientific history is that well
developed, but I do think that he thinks it is.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood