Re: Threat to ASA (Was Re: NTSE Note #3)

Glenn Morton (grmorton@psyberlink.net)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 21:04:15 -0600

At 03:10 PM 2/25/97 -0700, William W. Cobern wrote:
>In light of the hammering Johnson is taking on this list for his use of
>evidence and argument, I am disturbed by such assertions as this:
>
>At 12:48 PM 2/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
><snip>
>
> The reason Johnson is popular among many
>>Christians is not because people are excited about epistemology but
>>because they want to have an excuse to relegate evolution to a minor
>>role (or deny it entirely) & not have to think about it or wrestle with
>>the religious issues it raises.
>
>This reads as a statement of fact when, IMO, no such facts are avalable.

This too may be anecdotal but as a geoscientist, when I tell people in the
churches that I have attended (all of the conservative variety) that geology
does not support a young earth, or that geology does not support a global
flood, or that paleontology reveals that no living species of mammal was
alive on this earth in rocks earlier than the oligocene, about 25% tell me
that I have been brainwashed by my education/duped by professors/forced to
believe this because of my employment or something like that. I think 25%
believe it but don't say so. I gather this from the look of horror on their
faces. These anecdotal numbers are in agreement with what I hear Gallup has
found ( January 1993 issue of First Things, Phillip Johnsons article, p. 9:)

Discussions with many of these people in this type of arena, leads me to
believe that fear of evolution is quite widespread.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood