Re: Question for George (was Re: Vast Majorities...)

Murphy (gmurphy@imperium.net)
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 15:31:43 -0500

Richard Dimery wrote:

> Two points:
>
> (i) How can we know God intervenes rarely, since most times we're just
> plain not going to notice, because we are unable to differentiate it from
> natural events, because we're not looking etc?

Most of the things we observe can be described in terms of
natural processes which obey rational laws. It's possible that God
"violates" those laws a lot when we're not looking but I see no reason
to think so. IMO something like Van Till's "functional integrity" is a
basic aspect of the goodness of creation.

> (ii) I had a sermon on Job this morning. God criticized Job not for asking
> why those things were happening to him, but for not humbling himself and
> admitting that good+evil+reasons why God does things are "higher than our
> thoughts".

True. & remember also that God says to his "defenders", "My
wrath is kindled against you and your two friends; for you have not
spoken of me what is right, _as my servant Job has_." (My emphasis.)
George Murphy