Re: sacraments

Murphy (gmurphy@imperium.net)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:21:28 -0500

Paul Arveson wrote:

> Your discussion reminds me of a statement by Heisenberg, something to the
> effect that quantum physics generates a comprehensive view of the world
> in which there is no matter, only mathematical forms and symmetry relations.
> Then he quotes Goethe's Faust, "In the beginning was the concept".
>
> Maybe there is a kind of convergence between the Word and the world in
> physics, as well as from the spiritual perspective.

I think Heisenberg's Platonism is valuable but, like all
Platonism, needs to be "fleshed out" - pun intended. (You may recall
that Augustine said that he had found "In the beginning was the Word" in
Plato but not "The Word was made flesh".) The world is - as Jim
Neidhardt was found of saying - "embodied mathematics".
George