Re: causality

Murphy (gmurphy@imperium.net)
Wed, 05 Feb 1997 13:19:34 -0500

Paul Arveson wrote:

> I'm sure George Murphy and Ted Davis
> could do a much better job of responding (are you guys reading this?)
> John Polkinghorne, in his books on providence, is probably one of the
> most thoughtful writers on this subject, I believe.

Since Paul has mentioned (& perhaps overrated!) me, I'll just
note that an article of mine, "Does the Trinity Play Dice?", is to be
published later this year in PSCF. It deals with the issue of "chance"
as part of an attempt to view QM in a trinitarian & chrisological
context.
I agree about Polkinghorne with 2 caveats:
1) P sees the "loose-jointedness" (my term) in the world which
makes freedom possible to be that associated with "chaos" & not QM. But
the small variations in initial conditions to which chaotic behaviors
are sensitive are ultimately at the quantum level.
2) I think P dismisses too quickly the idea that consciousness
plays a role in the collapse of the wave packet, & thus any kind of
Participatory Anthropic Principle.
George Murphy