Re: Johnson's Concluding Remarks

Robert L. Miller (rlmiller@garlic.com)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 21:05:49 GMT

Gene Dunbar Godbold writes:

>There is a systematizing impulse that humans have that leads one to want
>to make conclusive statements about things that one doesn't have anywhere
>near conclusive evidence on. I see this in both science and theology.

I call this the authority - can't - be - wrong syndrome. And it does seem a
particular vice of theologians and scientist (maybe even lawyers). A person
acculmulates some degrees, gains a position of authority, and when asked,
especially by a layman, about some difficult question in his field feels
compelled to give an answer, even when none exists. Is this why John
Templeton is persuing the humility gospel?

Bob