Re: ASA Videotapes

Paul Arveson (arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil)
Mon, 27 Jan 97 11:19:03 EST

In message <01BC0AD4.5347F320@hut41.southwind.net> Joel Fitzgerald writes:
> Dear Mr. Arveson,
>
> I recently read about your two video tapes "The New Biology" and "James =
> Houston's Views on Creation" in an issue of the ASA Newsletter. Do you =
> have a brief synopsis that you could send to me so I can better judge if =
> I would like to show one or both of these tapes?
>
> Would either of these tapes be suitable for middle school science =
> students or helpful to a science teacher to incorporate ideas and =
> concepts into science classes? =20
>
> Thank you for your time and help,
>
> Joel Fitzgerald

Thanks for your interest.

The videos are transfers from what were originally multimedia slide shows.
"The New Biology" is about 45 minutes long. It describes briefly the history
of development of modern biology, especially the influence made by physicists
who invented instruments such as the electron microscope, and it shows a lot
of pictures produced by these instruments. It briefly explains the DNA
code.
The modern molecular view of biology often tends toward a reductionistic
view of man, and this is also illustrated by means of modern art and some
quotes from famous biologists.
The video suggests an alternative view that focuses on the concept of
the purpose of life. There is no intent to critique evolution or promote
creation, but there is a Christian message that we are to "glorify God in
your body".

James Houston is chancellor of Regent College, Vancouver, and founder of the
C.S. Lewis Institute in Washington DC. He wrote a book, I Believe in the
Creator, published by Eerdmans. The video is an illustrated series of
excerpts from the book and also from some lectures he gave by the title
of "Eclipse of the Creator". He offers critiques of naturalism, but also
notes that creationism and concordism do not provide a satisfactory
description of the theological doctrine of creation. He gives a Reformed
theological account of what creation means, and of mankind's place in
creation. Many pictures of astronomical subjects are shown. The length
is about 33 minutes.

These tapes are aimed at the general adult Sunday school audience, or
young people of high school or college age. Middle school children won't
get as much out of them, of course, but the pictures are interesting.

These tapes are available for $15 to locations in the US.

Paul Arveson, Research Physicist
Code 724, Signatures Directorate, NSWC
9500 MacArthur Blvd., Bethesda, MD 20817-5700
arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil
(301) 227-3831 (W) (301) 227-4511 (FAX) (301) 816-9459 (H)