Re: ORIGINS: ReformedTheol&Science

Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 18:52:05 -0600 (CST)

Dehann wrote in response to Terry:

>As an example, take the first step in the evolution of the hemoglobin
>molecule. As you say it starts with gene duplication, with the original gene
>preserving its primitive function and the second copy being altered by
>mutation, providing a source of new material on which selection can operate.
> This process is a fact, and thus should be dripping with evidence of the
>creating God. Right? Would you be willing to spell out with as much
>specificity as you can what evidence you find for such a God in this fact?
> Does God interact in this process? Does he select and induce mutations? Is
>the process ultimately based on chance movement of atoms and molecules or on
>divine guidance. If the latter, how? And can you do the same in principle
>for other steps? If I am missing some major point in your theology, please
>let me know.

This comment suggests that you cannot visualize God's activity through
natural process. A theoretically complete cause and effect "natural"
explanation does not remove the creators hand! I believe that God causes
it to rain (and can thus respond to prayer for rain), but yet the cause of
rain can be studied and described as a series of cause/effect processes. I
believe that I was created individually by God, yet my conception,
development and birth can be described as an uninterrupted series of
cause/effect processes. God is spoken of in scripture as feeding the lions
and birds (see Job), but yet we cannot observe His hand. Nothing, no
chemical reaction, no mutation, no birth or death, happens outside of God's
providential will! Even chance events are under His control - why did
people cast lots to perceive God's will if this were not so (see also the
account of the death of Ahab)? Chance events are part of God's sovereign
action in the world.

In Christ:

Keith

Keith B. Miller