ORIGINS: Origin of humans

David Campbell (bivalve@isis.unc.edu)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:03:07 -0500

George Murphy wrote:

> Thanks for your elaboration. However, I don't believe that one
>can really say that the Bible teaches that human beings are not
>descended from other animals.

Certainly, there is a unique way in which we are in God's image, unlike the
animals. However, since God does not have a physical body, this image must
be spiritual. I think the anatomical and biochemical similarities and
fossils show that we are physically quite close to other primates and
evolved from them, but our spiritual nature is unique and requires a more
"miraculous" technique of creation.

Department of Geology
CB 3315 Mitchell Hall
Chapel Hill NC 27599-3315

"He had discovered an unknown bivalve, forming a new genus"-E. A. Poe, The
Gold Bug