Re: Mere Creation conference

Richard A. Knopp (rknopp@prairienet.org)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 12:35:22 -0800

Russell Maatman wrote:

> To the group:
> SNIP
>
> It seems to me that we are moving forward, perhaps to a new paradigm in the
> Kuhnian sense. I know that we have been debating evolution for many years.
> But something new is emerging.
>
> That is this: _general_ evolutionary theory is wrong if one exception is
> found. More specifically, if _one_ system has been shown to have been
> intelligently designed, the general theory fails. From then on, systems
> must be examined one by one. What has happened is that some systems have
> indeed been shown to be intelligently designed. Quite a few of these were
> discussed at the meeting, but one needs only to cite those discussed by
> Mike Behe, also covered in his recent book, _Darwin's Black Box_. Note that
> if only one of all the systems discussed at the meeting is not overthrown,
> the general theory is dead.
> SNIP
>
> So, perhaps slowly, a move to a new paradigm: admission that intelligent
> design must be considered within science. I say "slowly" because, as Kuhn
> has shown us (although we didn't need him on this matter!), the new
> paradigm is generally favored only by the younger workers; older ones are
> too much committed and too set in their ways.
>
> If this conference marks the beginning of a slow turnaround, it was good to
> be "present at the creation."
>
> In the Lord,
>
> Russell Maatman
> e-mail: rmaat@mtcnet.net

If the "new" paradigm is that one falsification instance renders the
general theory a "failure" and "dead," it needs to be re-examined in light, not
only of Kuhn, but of Popper and Lakatos. Even Popper did not end up with such a
simplistic version of falsification. Hopefully, a new paradigm IS being
"created," but I think the nature and history of science are such as to prompt
us to be even more reserved in our level of excitement.

-- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Richard A. Knopp, Ph.D.Prof. of Philosophy & Christian ApologeticsLincoln Christian College & Seminary100 Campus View DriveLincoln, IL  62656

"If God didn't exist, He would want us not to believe in Him."