Re: Resource Help

Murphy (gmurphy@imperium.net)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 07:25:21 -0500

Gene Dunbar Godbold wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been having a private e-mail conversation with a gentleman who was
> profoundly shocked to find that the YEC position was not that one that the
> apostles taught nor the early church believed. (I exaggerate only a
> little.) I was wondering if any of you erudite folks might give me some
> help (off-list) with information on two topics:
>
> 1) A timeline of the YEC movement (rough). I remember it had its genesis
> in the 1920s or 30s did it not, with roots in 7th Day Adventism?
>
> 2) Which particular church fathers/theologians spoke about the
> non-literal interpretation of the first couple chapters of Genesis. I
> believe that Augustine and Jerome did, but even with these if someone had
> the book (and chapter) references off the top of their head, I would be
> grateful. (I've only read the "Confessions" and I don't think it is in
> there.)
>
> Thank you for your trouble.
> Gene

I've been away a week & this may have been responded to but -
Re 2: There are (I think) 3 or 4 commentaries of Aug on Gen, at
least 1 unfinished. _Ad Genesi ad litteram_ is most relevant here, but
not available in some of the older "libraries of the Fathers" &c. A new
translation is out called (?) "The Literal Interpretation of Genesis."
Others of the Fathers here are Gregory of Nyssa ("The Great
Catechism" & "On the Making of Man", both in the Post-Nicene Fathers
library reprinted by Eerdmans), Ephrem the Syrian & others. A detailed
treatment of all is in Messenger's "Evolution & Theology" (1932), now
quite difficult to find though some libraries (U of Iowa, I think) have
it.
George