Re: Apologists and Abraham's Sister

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Fri, 01 Nov 1996 20:58:27

Bill Frix wrote:

>Point of order: Sarah WAS Abraham's sister (or half-sister in our
>modern vernacular) - Genesis 20:12:
>
>"Besides, she actually is my sister, the daughter of my father but
>not the daughter of my mother ... " (NAS)

I won't quibble about the common Jewish assumption that Sarah was biologically
Abraham's cousin, (See Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, Book 1, vii, 5)
This apparently came about because Sarai was Haran's daughter. Haran was
Terah's son. When he died, Terah adopted them, making Sarah an adopted sister
but biologically a neice.

But my point was nto the relationship between Abe and Sarah, but the fact that
not everything in scripture is true. 1 Sam. 21:2, David lies to Ahimilech
about what the king ordered him to do. That lie cost Ahimilech his life.
While it is true that David said this, the statement itself was a lie and thus
untrue.

glenn
Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm