RE: Apologists and other salesmen

Daniel J. Berger (bergerd@bluffton.edu)
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 08:35:52 -0500

I quote Glenn Morton's reply to my earlier comments, below.

So, Glenn, you maintain that Jesus actually had to have observed a Samaritan
performing the actions related in the famous parable, for the story to have any
validity? That the fact that Nathan probably told David a completely non-factual
story, about the poor man's lamb, meant that David didn't have to worry about
murdering Uriah? That the Book of Jonah must be verified scientifically before
its lessons can be taken to heart?

Wiser people than I have said that human sinfulness is the most empirically
verifiable of the contentions of Christianity. Genesis 1-5 does not need to be
true, in the modern historical sense of the term, to reveal and comment on that
fact, since a moment's reflection will tell anyone that the root causes of sin --
pride and disobedience -- are just as they are related in the story of Adam and
Eve.

My off-the-cuff opinion is that those who insist that everything in the Bible must
be historically perfect and verifiable before they will admit their need for a Savior,
would find some other excuse if that objection were answered on the terms they
demand. Remember that Satan knows more truth -- in an objective sense -- than
any of us, yet refuses to repent.

Yours,

Daniel J. Berger (419) 358-3379
Bluffton College