apologetics

Paul Arveson (arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil)
Tue, 29 Oct 96 18:23:59 EST

Bill Frix wrote:

>I am not God - but neither are the medical doctors and scientists.
>I find it interesting that there are cures used today that would
>have been rejected years ago. After all, who would believe that the
>mold on an orange could cure diseases, or that "leaches and blood
>letting" are of no medicinal value? So too, what is rejected today
>may become standard procedures tomorrow, and that what is standard
>practice today may be seen as barbaric in the future.
>
>So, in general, QUIT JUDGING YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CHRIST!!
>You don't have all the answers and you may just be wrong.

----

There's no need to shout. I didn't intend to judge anybody; I was writing about
the dangers and pitfalls of bad apologetics. I quoted Augustine on this very
point. If Augustine saw the danger back in the 5th century, I believe I am not
saying anything new.

Your arguments above seem to be tantamount to an appeal to relativism: that
everything changes; we can never be sure of anything; we may be wrong about
everything; so we should say nothing.

I am not saying that either because of the dangers and pitfalls, or because of
relativism, we should say nothing about apologetics. I am sorry that I wrote in
such a misleading way.

The solution is not no apologetics, it is good apologetics. When we have a good
testimony we should say so.

It's just that, along with other veterans in the apologetics field, I find few
good arguments and a lot of bad ones. Note: I am not judging people, but I am
called upon to judge for myself what is true and report my findings.

Paul Arveson, Research Physicist
Code 724, NSWC, Bethesda, MD 20084
73367.1236@compuserve.com arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil
(301) 227-3831 (W) (301) 227-1914 (FAX) (301) 816-9459 (H)