Re: What is Theology?

D. Eric Greenhow, M.D.,Ph.D. (allen@Merlin.InfoMagic.COM)
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:31:01 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Murphy wrote:
> Jan de Koning wrote:
> >Please, let us all do our own thinking, and let us not tell each
> >other too soon, that we all should interpret the Bible in our way.
> I'm not completely clear about what is meant here, but if it is
> an appeal for all Christians to interpret the Bible in their own way, I
> strongly disagree. All Christians (professional theologians or not)
> should interpret Scripture in continuity with the Christian tradition,
> with what the fathers called the "rule of faith."

I think that Jan is meaning that we should study the Bible for our selves
under the guidance of the Holy Spirit as the Bible says to do. While it
is good to take advantage of what has gone on before, we should do as the
Bereans who didn't even take the Apostle Pauls word, but studied the
scriptures for themselves. Paul commended them for doing just that. We
should not take anyones word for it, but study for ourselves.

The Holy Spirit caused the Bible to be written, and It is the very same
Holy Spirit that is promised to come and teach us everything we need to
know from the Bible. A person on a desert island with a Bible can become
a knowledable, devout Christian with only the leading of the Holy
Spirit. In fact something like that did happen years ago on Pitcaren.

> But 2000 years of Christian
> history, descisions of councils of the church, and the work of its
> teachers must be taken seriously. The interpretation of Scripture
> should also take place within the living Christian community. Disregard
> for these principles is what has led to the proliferation of
> denominations, sects, and cults.

I'd say that part of the proliferation is infact due to those councils
and the christian community for they have at times gone against the plain
teaching of the Bible. Other factors are also reasons for this
proliferation, such as lust for power, greed, selfishness, pride, guilt
and a lot of other sins. The devil is out to tear down or fracture God's
people to splinters.

Allen Roy
http://www.tagnet.org/anotherviewpoint/