Re: What is Theology?

Murphy (gmurphy@imperium.net)
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:35:12 -0500

Jan de Koning wrote:
{mOST oMITTED}
>Please, let us all do our own thinking, and let us not tell each
>other too soon, that we all should interpret the Bible in our way.
I'm not completely clear about what is meant here, but if it is
an appeal for all Christians to interpret the Bible in their own way, I
strongly disagree. All Christians (professional theologians or not)
should interpret Scripture in continuity with the Christian tradition,
with what the fathers called the "rule of faith." That is not an
attempt to make tradition a source of authority higher than or equal to
Scripture, nor does it rule out disagreement with the history of
tradition or development of new ideas. But 2000 years of Christian
history, descisions of councils of the church, and the work of its
teachers must be taken seriously. The interpretation of Scripture
should also take place within the living Christian community. Disregard
for these principles is what has led to the proliferation of
denominations, sects, and cults. And no, this is not a "Back to Rome"
appeal.
SHALOM,
George Murphy