Re: [Fwd: FYI: Virus]

William T. Yates (wtyates@vcnet.com)
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:30:40 -0800

dcahyo wrote:

> Subject: FYI: Virus
> Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 13:06:30 -0500
> From: *The Batavian* <foothill@sfsu.edu>
> To: fica-net@fica.org
>
> Forwarded by Ardhian N Hatmadji
>
> From: Nickie <n1ckie@cbn.net.id>
>
> Virus
>
> There is a computer virus that is being sent across the Internet. If you
> receive an e-mail message with the subject line "Irina", DONOT read the
> message. DELETE it immediately. Some miscreant is sending people and
> files under the title "Irina". If you receive this mail or file, do not
> download it. It has a virus that rewrites your hard drive, obliterating
> anything
> on it. Please be careful and forward this mail to anyone you care about.
> (Information received from the Professor Edward Prideaux, College of
> Slavonic Studies, London).
I don't believe just reading a message can harm your computer. A virus
needs to be run as part of a program. Also, what machines are allegedly
affected by this virus? Macs? PCs? I get regular computer virus and
computer security alerts at work and have not seen this one mentioned.
-- --Bill Yates--wtyates@aol.com--wtyates@vcnet.com--http://www.vcnet.com/wtyates/