Re: skepticism

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Tue, 08 Oct 1996 09:18:54 -0600

At 10:49 AM 10/8/96 -0400, Murphy wrote:
>Paul Arveson wrote:

>> ICR also rebuts arguments about the early history of the universe, by asking
>> "How do you know? Were you there?" This argument implies that ANY inference
>> about the past is suspect. In other words, drawing any inferences from the
>> past is not valid. <snip>
>
> "We can't see the past so ..." is an argument heard often enough
>to deserve an explicit, though simple, response: It is false."
> <snip>

"Were you there?" also makes for dangerous apologetics. After all, I wasn't
there when Jesus rose from the dead. By the ICR's logic (or at least
something not too different from it), I have no valid reason for believing
that he did, no matter how strong the evidence.

| Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
| Physical and Chemical Properties Division | Phone: (303)497-3555 |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology | Fax: (303)497-5224 |
| 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | |
| "Don't blame the government for what I say, or vice versa." |