Re: SOC/PSYCH: Recent thread

by way of Terry M. Gray (PMJAQUA@am.pnu.com)
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 13:00:11 -0400

Terry,
Thanks for your carefully thought out and worded post on the
appropriateness of the family/homosexuality thread. Some others have also
questioned whether it all fits into a faith/science discussion.
I think the issues can easily fit into the parameters of the list
_but_ those of us involved in the thread have been too concentrated on the
theology/exegesis aspects of the matter and have neglected the scientific
aspects of it. I did post a short list of some of the biological problems
that go with homosexual behavior but it didn't get much response.
If we are to continue the thread there are several scientific
issues that can be brought into it. Here are a few that occur to me.

Sociology- What is the impact on society of widely accepted homosexuality?
This can be approached historically and/or with modern research.
Psychology- What does research show about the underlying causes of
homosexuality? Is it natural of pathologic? Can it be treated
or overcome or must one learn to live with it? (In other words can
a homosexual "go straight"?)
Genetics- Is there an underlying genetic association with homosexuality?
This also begs us to ask if there is an underlying genetic
association with other behaviors, i.e.: kleptomania, pedophilia,
high sex drive...
Evolution- How might homosexual behaviors fit into various evolutionary
theories? I imagine any fiat creationists might have some
interesting input on this angle.
Medical- What are the health aspects or consequences presented by
homosexual behavior? What conclusions or concerns can we derive
from them?
General- What other observable or measurable factors regarding
homosexuality can we subject to scientific scrutiny?

OK. That's my input. I posted it directly to you since I wasn't
sure if you wanted input to you personally or on the reflector. If you
think that what I've said deserves consideration from others fell free to
post any part of it to the reflector.

In His Service,
Mike Jaqua
7245 Balfour Drive