Polygamy

Sweitzer, Dennis (SWEITD01@imsint.com)
Thu, 15 Aug 96 08:46:00 EST

Mike,

Gee, great minds think alike. And so do ours. (?)

I used to think a harem would be fun too. But now that I have a wife and 4
daughters, the thought of yet another woman around the house, well, just
isn't the same anymore.....

I guess the alternative would be to have another husband around the house,
which of course, I find unacceptable, but I guess that's my carnal nature
coming through. This ties into the curious question of why polygyny
(multiple wives) is much more common than polyandry (multiple husbands).
I'd say masculine jealousy is one factor.

Interestly, there was a Christian sect in New York state about 100-150 years
ago that practiced "complex marriage"--basically, a communal group marriage
where all the men were married to all the women (Presumably, only
heterosexual relations). It eventually fell apart because people wanted to
(selfishly) pair off into exclusive relationships. I really don't know
anything else about the sect, or how they justified it scripturally, or
(even more interestly) how in the world they dealt with basic human
psychology (i.e., jealousy & such).

It might be safe to say that polyandry & polygyny are stable patterns under
some socio-economic circumstances and under some unique combinations of
individual personalities, but that monogamy is most stable under the
broadest circumstances. Group marriages would tend to break apart into
pairs. But that's not an answer based on scripture.

Actually, my wife did give me permission to have a second wife, but only if
she had me exclusively for the evenings & weekends. (I guess I could have
lunch with wife #2.) ;-)

Grace & peace,

Dennis Sweitzer