RE: Ramm's flood

George Fisher (gfisher@jhu.edu)
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:39:13 -0400

At 08:28 AM 4/12/96 -0500, Dennis Sweitzer wrote (in part):

>I would argue that the kernal of the Atlantis myth could be a very ancient
>dry Mediteranean civilization (which well predated Greek civilization).
> Over thousands of years, the Greeks(and their predecessors) slowly updated
>the story to fit the Greek world view. (or actually codeveloped their world
>view and the Atlantis story).

I agree, except that the dates for the flooding of the Med seem clearly to
be _way_ too for any human traditions to have been preserved (5.5 my, after
all).

I too am puzzled; I suspect that there was a kernal to this myth, but can't
tie it to any geologic event that I'm comfortable with.
Peace and Grace,
George
George W. Fisher, Professor of Geology
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
Johns Hopkins University Baltimore MD 21218
Phone: 410-516-7237 FAX: 410-516-7933