Re: Incarnation

Garry DeWeese (deweese@ucsu.Colorado.EDU)
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 15:22:50 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Jeff Webster wrote:

> Did anyone see John McLaughlin's One on One program about the possiblilty of
> life on other planets? He spoke with two astrophysicists (Sorry, I forgot their
> names) and a theologian named Ted Peters, all of whom concurred that there is
> most likely life elsewhere. The problem McLaughlin was attempting to raise was
> the uniqueness of the incarnation [...]
I seem to remember C.S. Lewis being open to the possibility of life on
other planets but insisting that if they were creatures capable of sin,
and actually did sin, and (apparently unlike the angels) were capable of
redemption, then their redemption would be on the basis of the
incarnation of the Son on planet Earth. Unfortunately, my cursory survey
of Lewis's books I have at hand did not locate that reference... maybe
someone else knows it (hope I'm not mistaken). At any rate, this view
has never seemed problematic to me.

Garry DeWeese