Re: Sorting out

Paul Arveson (arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil)
Wed, 10 Apr 96 10:06:19 EDT

In message <9604101217.AA06174@predator.cs.gmr.com> Bill Hamilton writes:
> Dennis Sweitzer quoted Paul:

> >seem
> >to revolve around the nature of truth. I haven't had time to study all the
> >details of the discussions, but I'm trying to sort all this out. I propose
> >an equation:
> >
> > T = M + O + U
> >
> >or
> >
> > truth = meaning + objectivity + unity.
> ><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> >
> >But may have meant something else. Popular culture tend to use '+' as
> >'and', but standard computer conventions let FALSE=0, and TRUE=1 (or >1).
> > Consequently, M+O+U implies that as long as one of M, or O, or U is true,
> >then T is true.
> >
> >Alternatively,
> >
> > T= M * O * U

The above responses to my proposed formula were surprising to me, in that they
were fully focused on the + operator, rather than on the terms and their
relationship. This is the last time I will use mathematical symbols in an
attempt to express philosophical ideas! It's amazing how easily we can talk
past each other, even though we have so much in common.

Paul Arveson, Research Physicist
73367.1236@compuserve.com arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil
(301) 227-3831 (W) (301) 227-1914 (FAX) (301) 816-9459 (H)
Code 724, NSWC, Bethesda, MD 20084