RE: Ramm's flood

jeffery lynn mullins (jmullins@wam.umd.edu)
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 09:29:23 -0400 (EDT)

Peter,

This is something that needs to be pointed out. It needs to be made
clear that historicity does not depend upon reporting in time-ordered
sequence. The events of the gospel of Matthew all happened whether all
of the material included in the "Sermon on the Mount" occurred at the
same time or not, for example. The key is that it all happened, the
words are of Jesus, and the events and words were not made up by others
after the life of Christ.

There is an analogy in the case of interpreting "literally". The
layperson (and critics of Christianity, or those ignorant of Christian
theology) often do not understand that to have a literal hermeneutic is
to take poetry as literally poetry, metaphor as literally metaphor, etc.
It is authorial intent that counts.

One final thought: we must determine which part of Scripture is of which
genre, but we dare not determine which is true and which is not, or what
portion of the record of Christ's words and deeds are historical and
which are not.

Jeff Mullins