re: Physics Query

jeffery lynn mullins (jmullins@wam.umd.edu)
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:41:31 -0400 (EDT)

Garry,

Didn't Mackie, of fame for writing an atheistic apologetic in reply to
Swinburne, come up with a theory of absolute space denying relativity on
philosophical grounds?

I have also seen some "hole" arguments from Earman that argues that to accept
a substantivalist view of space one must deny determinism (this may not be
exactly your topic, but is related). This is interesting to me since
modern cosmology seems to be saying that the expansion of the universe is
an expansion of the space between the galaxies, not of the galaxies
themselves, and thus could have exceeded the speed of light during an
inflationary epoch. However, I haven't really had time to look into it.

I think that you probably will find more from scientifically informed
philosophers of science than from physicists on the issue unless you look
at physicists in the early part of the twentieth century. Once a
paradigm is solidified the later generation brought up in that paradigm
seems to take it at face value unless they are interested in the history
and philosophy of science.

Jeff Mullins