Re: Jesus' Tomb and Bones

Steven Schimmrich (s-schim@students.uiuc.edu)
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 09:29:34 -0600 (CST)

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov) wrote:

>> I heard on the news today that an ancient grave site was found that has
>> caskets filled with bones and they are labeled Mary, Joseph, and Jesus the
>> son of Joseph. Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> I read about this a few days ago. The story I read reported this fairly
> responsibly, quoting some authority as pointing out that these were 3 of the
> most common names in that culture, so that statistically speaking, given the
> number of tombs that have been excavated, you would have expected this
> combination of names to turn up at least once.
>
> Any news report trying to make this into something of theological
> significance (as opposed to an arguably cute little story to report around
> Easter) is being sensationalist and maybe dishonest.

Does it seem funny to anyone else that this story just happens to come out
a few days before Easter? That someone might claim to find the bones of
Jesus just as millions of Christians are preparing to celebrate His bodily
resurrection? Seems fishy if you ask me...

- Steve.

--      Steven H. Schimmrich       Callsign KB9LCG       s-schim@uiuc.edu      Department of Geology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign         245 Natural History Building, Urbana, IL 61801  (217) 244-1246      http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/s-schim  He is not here; he has risen!